Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Being brave....

Heard from an old friend yesterday. She called because it was my birthday. We were room mates in college for three years. I haven't spoken to her in over twenty years. It was so good of her to call. Very Good. I miss her.

I miss her sense of humor, her love of family and friends and her down-earthiness. (is that a word?) She is a only child with wonderful, protective parents. They use to come to school every Friday to get her and bring her back every Sunday. An hour drive. She and her husband have five kids. I missed the chance to watch them grow up. I bet they had a blast. Her dad was (is) quite the joker. I'm sure he and her mother have enjoyed such a big family.

I didn't think we had much in common. Our fundamental beliefs are very different. It was hard to have conversations at times. It seemed better to just walk away.

The differences in people don't matter as much as the things you have in common. The years have given me a little better perspective on those differences. And as we both have children, homes, aging parents, and we are both trying to stay afloat in these trying times, the common stuff is more abundant.

I was talking to an old friend yesterday. I'm glad she called.

No comments:

Post a Comment