Monday, May 20, 2013

First Time Out

Yesterday afternoon I wanted to take Luna for a walk around the house pond. This actually is the pond in one of the sheep pastures. The older sheep and one ram are in that pasture so I took a walking stick with me, just in case they didn't get on well with Luna.
Well, Matilda is in the pen with Luna and when I opened the gate, Matilda decided she was going for a walk, too. She went straight for the bale of hay. She rubbed her head all in it, just like the older cows do. And she had never seen a cow do this before! Matilda took off running with Luna close behind. The sheep were so surprised to see the calf that I think they had no thoughts for Luna at all! A one point a sheep challenged Matilda, head to head, and the sheep backed down. They ran all over the pond banks and around the field. It was good to watch Matilda be able to kick and race!
I let them stay out on thier own. At one point I noticed them back in the pen so I made Matilda's bottle. I closed the sheep pasture gate for the night and fed Matilda. Luna laid down by our feet and waited for Matilda. I think they were both very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment