Friday, February 8, 2013

And now there are four....

We lost one of the male mallards. The one that was in the male/female pair. She called for him for a day and wondered about the farm looking for him. I wondered what the others would do.Then they started hanging with her. Now they are all paired off. It is a relief. Not that I have any control over such things. Nature works its magic.

I hesitate to write about the farm at times. It seems when I mention something good then something happens to that animal. I not a pessimist by any means, but something is always happening. I have learned to shut gates and pens with a passion. But we lost a chicken last week. I guess she did not go into the coop that night and a possum got her. Woke me up at about 1:00 am and I got up to look. Saw the possum under a pile of landscape timbers but I didn't see the chicken til the next morning. We set traps. But since I had not lost a chicken in a while, we don't have one set up right now.

Suppose to get a little wintry mix in the weather this week. Makes me plan my day a little better since I had to walk 2 miles in the icy snow a couple of weeks ago to get home. I just can't imagine how the poor folks in the northeast will handle the next couple of days/weeks without power. The farm is pretty much self sufficient. We have a well and a wood burning stove. And a generator. We haven't experienced any real power outages since we moved to the farm. But we lost power in town for three days a couple of years ago. I had my son come get all the deer meat in the freezer. Didn't want to loose that! And the ice causes problems somewhere in the state each winter. So we built the farm house with all that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment