Monday, February 25, 2013

Goose Goose Duck

I have always heard folks talk about being attacked by geese and being afraid of them. I have never had any of the geese attack me until the other day.
I have five geese, two white Embden females and one male, and a male and female grey Toulouse. I have had to separate them into their type of geese because the white male was terrorizing the grey male and one of them was roughing up the grey female. A white female (or both) is nesting and the male is VERY protective. As he should be. And now he has decided that I am the enemy, too. He has charged me before and I just grab him by the neck. But one of the guinea hens had gotten into the goose pen and I needed her out and to her roost for the night.  I went into the goose pen and he attacked me! I grabbed him by the neck and he bit the sleeve of my coat. And when that wasn't enough he hit me with his wings. Didn't hurt me of course but surprised me and was kind of funny. I think I will stay out of the pen as much as possible. I don't want to terrorize them. Hopefully the female will hatch the goslings. They would be the first geese born on the farm and it would be quite wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment